5 things that make Tasmania spectacularly awesome

5 things that make Tasmania spectacularly awesome

There are so many things I love about Tasmania.

I mentioned in my post on appreciating your hometown that there are some things I dislike about living here, but Tasmania is actually a pretty rad place.

I spent my childhood roaming every square inch of the state, and finding out that travelling in your own backyard can actually be pretty amazing.

So what is it that makes Tasmania so spectacularly awesome in a way that no other place can be?

Tasmanian Coastline

1. A jaw dropping coastline

Tasmania, you’ve got to be kidding me. You mean to tell me you have pristine white sand beaches, 300 metre (980 ft) high sea cliffs, blowholes and deep orange rocks along only a few hours of coastline?

Rent a car, crack open the window to breathe in that fresh Tasmanian air, and take a drive. I guarantee your jaw will not close.

Long winding roads in Tasmania

2. Long Winding Roads

Driving through Tasmania can feel as though you’re driving a rally car (at a safe speed, of course). Narrow roads make their way through anything from rainforest to wide open rolling hills.

And if you thought New Zealand was the only place to be overrun with sheep, wait until you take a drive through the centre of Tasmania! They’re everywhere. Everywhere!

Tasman National Park, Tasmania

3. An insane amount of national park

What’s an insane amount? 45% of Tasmania is national park. 45%! You might think the state is just a tiny island, but when you think about it, 90,758 square kilometres (35,042 miles) is actually pretty large. That’s a crazy amount of national park to explore.

Take your pick, you have 19 to choose from. Hikes, waterfalls, ski slopes, and lakes are all at your fingertips.

Battery Point, Hobart, Tasmania

4. Super pretty old buildings

Hobart is the second oldest capital city in Australia, which means it’s filled with a bunch of old buildings from the 1800’s. Take a walk around the suburb of Battery Point and swoon at the adorable old houses.

There are a number of historical buildings you can waltz your way around, including the spooky convict settlement of Port Arthur. Ghost tour, anyone?

Bonorong Park

5. Animals that you won’t find anywhere else

I’m sure you’ve heard of Tassie Devil made famous by Looney Tunes, but in reality, the devil looks nothing like it’s cartoon counterpart. It’s small and black, and looks somewhat like a large rodent. And the noises it makes will have you in fits, seriously. It’s hilarious.

You won’t see gigantic kangaroos here, but wallabies are in abundance – I must have seen at least 4 or 5 of them on my last camping trip alone. They’ll hop right up to your campsite in an attempt to steal any food you’re not keeping an eye on.

And that’s only the beginning – Seals, Eagles, Cockatoos, Kookaburras, Wombats, and Penguins can all be seen around Tasmania.

21 Responses to “5 things that make Tasmania spectacularly awesome”

1. Lisa

I had heard about Tasmania in geography classes, nothing more. And since last year I’ve discovered you and Brooke (from world of wanderlust) and I want to go there SO MUCH! When I go to your side of the world I really hope I get there (but NZ is still n°1 on my list, sorry) 😉

I’ve seen some of Brooke’s guides to Tasmania – from what I can gather I think she’s from the north of the state! But it’s beautiful all over 😀 I can understand your lust for NZ, I’ve been 3 times and on every visit I’ve been blown away! Luckily Tasmania isn’t too far across the sea 😉

2. Lauren

I’m in Australia at the moment on a years working visa and can’t wait to get to Tasmania! These pictures just make me even more excited (that last one looks terrifying though!) Thanks for sharing 🙂

3. Maddi

I haven’t been down to Tassie since I was about 13, so a visit is definitely overdue. I would love to jump in my car and drive down from Sydney through NSW, Victoria, get the ferry across and continue the road trip round Tasmania. Epic journey!

That would be an awesome way to do it Maddi! I’ve done that trip the opposite way – driving from Hobart to Sydney. It would be nice if you’ve got some time to spare to do some of the scenic routes along the way 🙂

4. Kirstie

I’m really hoping to get to Tasmania soon. In fact, this has inspired me to have a look at flights there for Queen’s Birthday weekend, even if it will be really cold then!

5. Kasha

Wow, Tasmania looks phenomenal! I’m originally from Cape Town, South Africa, so I’m a sucker for beautiful coastlines and natural areas – I think I would love Tasmania as much as you did!

6. Sandra

I love, love, loooooooove Tasmania!!! Ups, I maid have started some other comments about Tasmania with the same sentence. But,well, it is true!
    I’ve been there a month ago and got to explore this stunning island and truely fall in love, hach I should stop saying this.

Some weeks ago I posted about my favourite places down there on my blog http://writteninblonde.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/top-6-of-tasmanias-hidden-treasures.html You are very welcome to through a look on it 🙂 Don’t be surprised I (mostly) write in German and English.

All the best, Sandra

Looks like you hit up all the best spots in Tasmania Sandra! Bruny Island, Bay of Fires, and Cradle Mountain are all fantastic spots. My personal favourite is Freycinet National Park, but really, it’s all pretty 😛 Thanks for your comment!

Probably because you can’t really say anything bad about it, it’s a wonderful place to visit 😉 Thanks De’Jav!

7. Alex Conomos

I’ve always heard that tassie has some amazing foodie finds – markets, providores and produce. It’s at the top of my travel list!

Indeed it does, I guess I’m just so used to it that I kind of forget about the food and drink, but it should probably be included as #6!

8. Georgie

These are all very good reasons Tassy is the bomb! It seems pretty unfair most Australian states give Tasmania flak! I think it’s jealousy!

I think it’s jealousy too 😉 You really can’t find this kind of scenery anywhere else in Australia. Thanks Georgie!