My 10 best in-flight photos

I’m a window seat kinda gal.

I could easily spend the first hour of a flight dreamily watching the world fall away beneath me. Noticing the curves of coastlines, counting scattered islands, spotting winding rivers and tall mountains, or discovering weird cloud formations floating by.

And what I love most of all is that no matter how cloudy or rainy the day is, the sun is always out once you’ve risen above the clouds.

Unfortunately I haven’t always had the best camera with me mid-flight, but I’ve used whatever I had on hand to snap away at the things I see. Here’s my selection of the 10 best views I’ve had from the air.

10 best in flight photos

2014 – Sydney to Bali (Blue Mountains, Australia)

10 best in flight photos

2013 – Seattle to San Francisco (Golden Gate Bridge)

10 best in flight photos

2007 – Mt Cook helicopter flight (New Zealand south island)

10 best in flight photos

2006 – Gold Coast to Hobart

10 best in flight photos

2014 – Sydney to Bali (desert, Northern Territory, Australia)

10 best in flight photos

2009 – Australia to Los Angeles (LA skyline)

10 best in flight photos

2009 – Grand Canyon helicopter flight

10 best in flight photos

2014 – Sydney to Hobart (Tasmanian coastline)

10 best in flight photos

2010 – Melbourne to Hong Kong

Best in flight photos

2010 – Malaysia (Penang to Langkawi… I think!)

Have you taken any amazing in-flight photos? Tag your best pics on Instagram with #myflightpic to share them with us!

28 Responses to “My 10 best in-flight photos”

1. Inge

Wow! Gorgeous photo’s! I hope I’m able to go on a helicopter flight sometime in the future.

Thanks Inge 😀 It really was something special, though scenic helicopter flights are not particularly cheap so they’re definitely not a regular travel activity!

2. Mandy

I’m a window seat kind of girl as well! I flew out of DCA yesterday and had I been on the other side of the plane I would have had a nice view of the monuments. But oh well, I’m always just happy to have any view. =)

Oh I hate it when that happens! For some of the flight paths I take regularly, I make sure to choose the side of the plane that I know will get the best views, but sometimes these things can’t be predicted. You’re right Mandy, any view is a good view!

Thanks Kimberly! On long-haul flights, my partner and I try to scheme and get the seats near the back of the plane that are only 2 wide. This we we get both the window and aisle 😀

3. Lo

Also a window seater! 🙂 Thank you for following me and TTUP – I’n just starting out in the travel blogging world and I love to see amazing sites like yours! I can’t wait to learn more from you and your travels! Cheers from one colorfully-dressed 20-something vegetarian to another!

Thanks Tessa! The Grand Canyon photo was taken long before I really got into photography and with a truly inferior camera, so I’m surprised that it came out so well!

4. Autumn

Beautiful pictures! I love taking in-flight photo’s as well. The picture of the Australian desert was my favorite. 🙂

5. Leah

What a fun post!! The mountains in Australia are amazing! A few of my favorites that spring to mind are a photo of the Dead Sea on a flight from Jordan to Chicago, and a photo of Lake Nicaragua as I was landing in Managua. You’ve inspired me to make a point of doing this more often 🙂

The best photos always come from the flights when you least expect something spectacular to happen! I’m sure the Dead Sea and Lake Nicaragua would have looked amazing from the air 😀

6. Lizzie

Wow amazing photos Ashlea! I always try to take pictures whilst I’m flying but I always forget 🙁 I’m going to make more of an effort now though. I’d love to do a helicopter flight one day – your photos from those are fantastic!

Thanks Lizzie! I usually store my good camera in my luggage somewhere so I don’t normally have it on hand for in-flight photos, but sometimes a camera phone is all it takes 🙂 Helicopter flights are quite amazing – I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the two that I’ve done, but they are unfortunately rather expensive!

Great compilation!! You never know what you’ll see outside your window. My favorite so far was flying out of Seattle, Washington. The amazing snow-capped mountains were amazing! Now I’ll have to remember to take photos.

Ooh snow-capped mountains are my favourite! I can imagine Seattle and its surrounds would have provided a lovely view 😀 Thanks Jessica!

8. Dana (@WantedAdventure)

Of course I’m a fan of the window seat! 😀 These are great photos. I think my favorite is…. hmmmm….Mt Cook helicopter flight. Love those mountains out the window.

Window seat seems to be the consensus! I love the Mt Cook one too, though I really do love that every time I see a new view from a flight, it looks completely different to any others I’ve seen before. Thanks Dana!

9. Bec

These are awesome photos! My favourite is the one of Mount Cook! I love window seats and I was so excited that I booked one on a long flight from Sydney to LA last year! Little did I know I was going to be almost climbing over the American guy who was in a VERY deep sleep (slept pretty much the whole flight!) to get to the bathroom. It was slightly awkward as I was debating with myself whether I should wake him or not! Getting to the bathroom was definitely an adventure! (but taking in-flight photos are still my favourite!) 🙂

I know your conundrum Bec! Window seats are great, but climbing over people or asking them to get up is a pain in the backside. Still, I’ve done the Sydney to LA a few times and it’s definitely worth having the window seat for 😀

10. Katie @ Second-Hand Hedgehog

Gorgeous pics! Makes me want to hope on a flight somewhere right now! I love window seats for short flights, but I’ve started picking aisle seats for long-haul now – partly because you get a bit more space, but mainly because I don’t like having to disturb people when I need to go to the loo! Maybe I should go for the window seat more often though…? After seeing these photos, I’m sorely tempted.

Thanks Katie! I think you’re right about the short flights vs long flights scenario. Window is better for short and aisle is better for long. The more time you spend in the air, the more likely you are to have to get up multiple times and I absolutely hate disturbing people when I want to get up to use the bathroom!

11. Erika

Beautiful photos! I always love seeing people’s unique photos from the air — I feel like mine always look the same! Maybe that just means I need to travel more. 🙂