5 ways to find blog post ideas when you have none

All of us go through the occasional phase of feeling uninspired.

It could be creative block, or maybe you’ve stopped feeling interested in what you’re writing about. It’s possible that you haven’t had time to think lately, and your once long list of ideas has dwindled down to almost nothing.

Don’t worry – this is ok. It’s not the end of the world. You don’t have to throw your hands up in the air and loudly proclaim that you’re giving up doing anything ever again.

There are a number of ways to get your creative juices flowing, here are a 5 tactics I use to ensure I have an abundance of ideas at all times.

1. Change things up a bit

The problem might be that the subjects you used to write about aren’t inspiring you anymore. The best way to get around this is to do something different!

Find a subject you haven’t focused on yet that might be a little off-topic, even a little crazier than what you normally write about. Or try out a different post style such as an opinion piece, an interview, or a how-to tutorial.

If you’re worried that your readers will hate you for changing things up, it’s very unlikely. They read your blog because you’re an interesting writer, not because you write about the same things all the time. The only thing you can do is try, and see if it works for you and your readers.

2. Get some themes going

I have a to-do list app on my phone where I’ve listed my usual post themes including picture book posts, destination guides, travel planning, journal and opinion posts, and blogging tips. I find it’s easier to think of ideas that will fit within a particular category than trying to pick random ideas out of the air.

What themes do you normally write about? Are there any new themes you’d like to try out? Make a list of each category, and brainstorm a few ideas that might fit within them.

3. Go through comments or questions you’ve been asked

I often get asked questions about travel or blogging that inspire me to write entire posts on the subject. Some of these include how to book a round-the-world ticket and how to make travel your career.

It’s easy to be inspired to write about something when you know that someone wants to read about it, and the fact that they’ve asked you means that they already define you as an expert on the subject. Share your knowledge with the world!

4. Go through your archives

If you go through your categories or archives, do you find any subjects you feel have been skipped over, or maybe you need to write more about? Is there a category that looks a little empty and could use some blog post love? Or maybe you made a point in a previous post that you could elaborate on in a dedicated post?

5. research something you want to know about

I’m currently researching things to do for my trip to Bolivia and Peru later this year, and am jotting down any interesting websites or info I find so that I can compile it all in a post later. If someone else is looking for information on travelling to South America, they’ll be able to use my research.

Maybe there’s a travel question that you don’t know the answer to and have been trawling through countless websites for some information? The likelihood that someone else wants to know the answer to your question is quite high, so by blogging about your discoveries you could save someone else hours of researching the same thing!

How do you get inspired for blog post ideas? Share your tips with us in the comments!

17 Responses to “5 ways to find blog post ideas when you have none”

1. Renuka

Excellent tips! I like ‘writing on questions and emails’ one the most. I guess your readers can give you the best ideas for your blog posts. 🙂

Thanks Renuka! I think answering questions is one of the easiest ways to get ideas, and you already know that someone is going to enjoy the post which definitely makes it worth writing 😀

2. Esther

Great ideas! The last week of last year I spent rethinking my blog. Like brainstorming with myself. As a magazine journalist I know that the best ideas come from simply writing down everything that spring to mind and than sift through the ideas trying to figure out what will work best for you, your style and your audience. It gives you a whole new perspective. I came up with 3 things (at least!) for 2015: more English content (I am a Dutch blogger), evaluating old posts and rewriting them if needed, more focus on hand on guides. I hope it’ll work.

I really like your process Esther, brainstorming is much more powerful than we realise and even if you come up with a bunch of dud ideas, you’re bound to come up with some killer ones too! Thanks for sharing your tips, I’m sure that your new direction will work for you as you’ve put thought and consideration into it 🙂

3. Sergey

Great tips, Ashlea! I actually got asked lots of questions about my latest blog post, so I already know what I’m going to write about next… All I need to do is just to answer those questions! 🙂

4. Leah of The Mochilera Diaries

I quite often have periods when I’m feeling uninspired, and it’s usually then that I have to write about something more emotional than factual, because the words for that type of article come so much easier. They are just my thoughts and opinions, I don’t have to worry so much about getting the facts right or that sort of thing. I like the themes idea, I’ve been meaning for ages to set up some sort of editorial calendar and I still haven’t managed to get around to it! Bad blogger :/

I know what you mean about the factual vs emotional posts, though sometimes I find it easier to write factual posts if I’m tired or uninspired as I don’t have to think as much about writing from the heart. I guess every blogger works in different ways! Thanks for sharing your process Leah 🙂

5. Amanda & Carmen

Thanks for the great tips! We also tend to find inspiration from reading magazines and other online articles that sometimes trigger a train of thought that leads to our final post idea. Other times, we just harass each other to post something (kidding, sort of) – so the inspiration comes through moments of desperation/wanting to shut the other person up!

xx Amanda & Carmen

That’s a great way to get inspiration! If I’m reading an online article or something that triggers an idea, I’ll immediately take note of it in my to-do list then come back to it later, that way I won’t forget about it 🙂 Desperation is also going to get posts up, though I suppose they might not be as good as the ones you’ve written after being inspired than being forced to find a subject? I’m glad you’ve got a way to get ideas, thanks for your tips Amanda and Carmen!

6. Susanne

My tip for blogging when you feel like a drained stream – change your layout. I used to change my blog design every other month to ”keep going” a couple years back 🙂

Ooh I love this one! I tend to do that every few months too, even if it’s just reorganising my categories (did that one last weekend!) or freshening up some images in the sidebar. It’s enough to make me feel like doing more ‘new’ things. Thanks for sharing Susanne!

7. Annie

Great post! I love these ideas, and will give them a shot. Sometimes when I can’t think of anything inspiring, I write journal style at 750words.com. Usually, free writing sparks an idea that I can turn into a blog post. Thank you for the tips!

That’s a great idea Annie, sometimes all it takes is getting a little creative with words to inspire you to write other things!

8. Lizzie

Great tips Ashlea! Your tip for writing about a specific point from a blog post in another dedicated post has just given me a whole load of ideas so thanks 🙂

Yay, I’m so glad I could help Lizzie! Sometimes there are ideas that we’ve already had, but just haven’t remembered or need to be rediscovered. I know it happens to me all the time 😉