10 reasons why travel is better than your office job

Tired of sitting in an uncomfortable ergonomic chair, staring at a never-ending pile of documents you have to sort through and contemplating your existential existence? Here are 10 reasons why you should immediately open a new tab in your browser to book a flight to a more interesting and exciting place.

Hallstatt, Austria

1. You don’t have to put up with people you dislike

That’s right, you don’t have to sit through the intricate details of your colleague’s unbelievably boring weekend, or your listen to your boss remind you for the twentieth time to put the new cover on the TPS reports. Choose your favourite people to travel with, or go have some me-time while you explore.

Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia

2. You get to enjoy the outdoors

Forget about sitting beneath fluorescent bulbs all day when the sun is shining outside, cruelly reminding you of how you are wasting your life. Actually enjoy some nice weather by staying outdoors for longer than just a half hour lunch break.

Salzburg, Austria

3. You can see something different every day

Instead of staring at the same old cubicle wall where you’ve pinned photos of places you’d rather be, actually plan how you’re going to get there so that you can look at something more interesting than the dividing wall between your desk and the window.

Munich 18

4. You won’t get bored

When you get sick of a place, you can just move on to somewhere different whenever you feel like it. A new city every few days? I don’t see why not.

Why you shouldn’t make a list of things to do before you die

5. There’s no-one telling you what to do

If you want to sit by a swimming pool all day, drink wine at 11am, or pointlessly browse the internet for hours on end, who is going to stop you?

Bruges, Belgium

6. You can eat more

Actively exploring a new city will burn more kilojoules than if you’re sitting at a desk all day. Instead of ordering a light salad for lunch, you can get an abnormally large sandwich or plate of nachos and not feel guilty about it.

Koh Samui

7. You can go somewhere with better weather

Cold and wintery in your country? No problem. Migrate towards the equator to eliminate your seasonal depression and get a healthy dose of sunshine and heat.

Bali, Indonesia

8. Every day is a weekend day

There will be no sinking feeling late on a Sunday afternoon… because you don’t have to work tomorrow! There’s no such thing as weekdays when you’re relaxing somewhere tropical or city-hopping in a different country.

Portland, Oregon

9. You can sleep as much as you want

Stay out late to party or head to bed at 9pm, do whatever you feel like and relish the fact that there will be no alarm to interrupt your morning.

Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia

10. You’re free to be yourself

You don’t have to wear a suit and tie, make polite conversation with people for the sake of it, or even cover the tired circles under your eyes with a thick layer of make up. Wear slacks and look as dishevelled you want, and if you’re going to make an effort to look good – do it because you want to!

Why would you rather be travelling instead of sitting at your desk? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

33 Responses to “10 reasons why travel is better than your office job”

1. Jessica

Right, and I can do all of the above without first earning money at an office job how?

2. Eden

This is so true! Before I quit my job, I remember sitting in the office watching the sunny days go by. Traveling is really a freeing experience.

I used to do the same thing Eden, countless days spent inside an office not enjoying the outside or having new experiences. Travel is definitely the better option!

3. Erika

Do many people really think their office job is better than travelling? I think most people are just afraid to make the switch. 🙂

I don’t think many people actually would choose their office job over travelling, but I’d like to assist in encouraging them to make the switch 😀

4. Iida-Emilia

Great post. I’ve always wanted to have my own business almost exactly because of that. I want to have a right to spend my time just the way I want to spend it. When I work as a freelancer, I can travel and work at the same time. I just want my freedom and that’s why 9 to 5 office job isn’t for me.

I’m with you 100% Iida-Emilia! I had exactly the same feelings about the 9-5 job not being for me, and I’m actually writing a post (coming up in the next few weeks) about how I took the leap and quit to pursue my own career. It’s great to meet other people with the same mindset!

5. Franca

Ditto! Plus you learn so much more about the world, yourself and your limits because you’ll probably find yourself in unusual situations that you wouldn’t have if you were still in your comfort zone.

Absolutely, travel gets you way out of your comfort zone and teaches you life skills that you would never have learnt in an office! Thanks for sharing Franca!

6. Abby Flynn

All of this sounds fantastic, really is the stuff I dream about! Have to admit I am still one of those people who is still figuring out and a little worried about the details of making the switch. I’d love to hear more about exactly how other people have done it!

You won’t regret making the switch Abby! I’m in the process of writing a post on how I went about it so keep your eyes peeled for more, and hopefully I can encourage other people who have made the switch to share their experiences too.

7. Kozue

I cannot agree more.
    Many people convince themselves that that’s life to be with people they dislike. But in my opinion, it’s a matter of choice. We can choose a better life for each.
    Love this post!

Exactly Kozue – there is no reason to put up with things we dislike, we can make choices to surround ourselves with company we enjoy!

8. Camila

haha definitely all the reasons I love to travel more than to work! Especially not having to deal with people I don’t like or people telling me to do things! Travel is very freeing that way!

I know what you mean Camila, I think we’re a breed that just can’t stand dealing with crap that we don’t think is necessary!

9. Olga

I need to print it and to read everyday! I am ready to sign under each reason, but meanwhile still sitting in the office even though two trips are alredy booked for future. You are so right and people who travel all their lives without spending horrible hours in the office are the most lucky ones!!!!!!

Olga

Hey that’s not such a bad idea Olga, maybe I should make a printable version of the list for you to keep on your desk and inspire your next trip? 😀

10. Miles of Happiness

Travel is life… Once you start, you cannot stop anymore. It became my lifestyle, and I could never go back to my ex-lifestyle. It’s the base of my happiness.

Once you’ve had a taste of the good stuff, there’s no going back! Travel is like an addiction that you can never shake off.

You can Pauline! I’m working my way towards it now and will hopefully get there next year – I’ll let you in on the secrets I find out on my way 😉

Thanks guys! You should definitely work towards it, I’ve got a post going up next week about my first year as entrepreneur, so that might inspire you a little!

Agreed! We left our jobs to move to the Netherlands and I don’t regret it. But we have normal lives here (once I get a job). One day I want to travel at least for half a year, but still want a home base. So, even though we aren’t constantly travelling, it is a priority now!

Having a home base is still a great way to travel. Well done on leaving your jobs to pursue your dreams – having the confidence to take the leap is a great achievement!

12. Gilles Barbier

I was expecting things like widden your horizon, … But I must say I had a good laugh, thinking of my former colleagues back home… (I have been on an open-end trip for the last month and for… Let’s see).
    I would also have argued that traveling is good for health and that you are in better shape, but I really like the approach to say: “I can eat more” 😉 I will remember that and have and extra portion tonight…
    Thanks for sharing and Happy Travel