Live an adventurous life through work and travel

7 destinations that I’m obsessing over right now

7 destinations I'm obsessing over right now

The only cure to travel addiction is to travel more, and that’s just a temporary fix.

As a long-term victim of travel addiction, I can tell you that the condition comes with some side affects – one of which is obsessing over all the destinations I want to visit. I have a list of places so ridiculously long that it seems impossible that I would ever have enough time to do them all.

With 2017 now underway, I’ve started prioritising and selecting a few destinations to take their place at the top of the list. These leading destinations aren’t necessarily ones that I have set plans on visiting this year, but they will be the first that I’ll hit up if given the chance.

It was difficult to whittle it down, but I managed to choose 7 that I’m most eager to see. Here are the destinations I’m obsessing over right now!

USA map

USA

I am 100% obsessed with my new home country of the Unites States. I honestly think that the US is such an underrated country for travel – this place has such a diverse range of destinations including big cities, small towns, national parks, and wild landscapes. I intend to properly explore all the country has to offer over the next few years.

Some US places that are likely on the cards for 2017 are some of the states of Montana and Maine. I would looove to do a road trip of the southwest as well, specifically New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah, where there are red rocks and cactuses and canyons galore.

Scotland map

Scotland

I’d never really had an inclination to visit Scotland until recently. This part of the UK has come way up on my travel list now that I’ve started seeing some pictures of it’s fairytale castles, green rolling hills, and large lakes.

Rob is also a fan of fancy scotch, so Islay would definitely be included on any Scotland visit. I would love to see Edinburgh, but aside from that I’m not really fussed about where in Scotland we go. Any place with pretty scenery is fine by me.

Japan map

Japan

Australians tend to visit Asia frequently seeing as it’s fairly accessible from our remote part of the world. I’ve previously done Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, and China, but strangely have never been to Japan.

This country has been intriguing me of late. The unique Japanese culture draws me in with its animated characters and oriental aesthetic. It’s definitely somewhere that I’d consider including as a stopover on a future visit to Australia.

Norway map

Norway

Norway is the only major Scandinavian country that was missed on our Nordics trip. There were a few people who asked if Norway was included on our itinerary, and each time I said no, there was a huge look of disappointment on their face.

The reason it wasn’t included was not because I didn’t want to go there – it was because I felt like Norway deserved way more time than I could give it. I could have tried to experience Norway in just a few days, but I think it would need at least 2 weeks to get the full experience.

It may not be this year, but I’m sure it won’t be long before I give in to the temptations of the gorgeous fjords and landscapes of Norway.

Colombia map

Colombia

I don’t know if it’s because I chain-watched 2 seasons of Narcos or because people I know are actually travelling there, but Colombia seems to be jumping out at me from every corner lately. There aren’t a lot of places in South America that I want to visit in the immediate future, but Colombia is one of them.

This Instagrammable destination has drawn me in with its pastel coloured houses and mountainous scenery. As Colombia is quite accessible from North America (direct flights from NYC to Bogotá with United? Yes, please!) I’ll definitely want to tick off the country sometime while I’m living here.

South Africa map

South Africa

Oh, Africa, that continent that has so far eluded my travels. I’ve wanted to visit South Africa (and the countries surrounding it) for a while now, but the distance has always been so far from my location that it’s never made it in to my travel plans.

Still, I have resolved to get there someday. It may not be someday soon, but I’m determined not to leave it out. I really want to see the penguins and ocean in Cape Town, and also do a safari where I can go a little crazy getting wildlife shots with my DSLR.

Antarctica map

Antarctica

Seeing as my ultimate travel goal is to visit every continent, Antarctica is a place that I feel like I need to go. I actually have a strange obsession with ice and snow (weird, right?) and I honestly can’t think of anything more exciting than getting tons of amazing photos of icebergs, penguins, seals, and whales.

Seeing as Antarctica is fairly expensive and difficult to get to, I’m putting this one off until the opportunity arises (basically when I have both the cash + time to do an Antarctica tour!). It may still be a few years away, but I’ve vowed to get there eventually.

Which destinations are you obsessing over this year? Share yours with us in the comments!

24 Responses to “7 destinations that I’m obsessing over right now”

1. -Brett Horting

Great list! I highly recommend all the canyons and cacti you can see in Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Colorado. Plus, South Africa is also like Norway, in that it really needs a huge amount of time to really delve into the locations and culture. Best of luck with your travels!
    For me, I am going to Oman, Mongolia, China and Vietnam (again) Burma, and the Trans Siberian, plus a few Baltic States.

Thanks Brett! That is definitely one of the reasons that I haven’t done South Africa yet… I’d need to dedicate a fair amount of time to seeing it and haven’t had the opportunity yet! I love your chosen destinations for 2017 – I’d also love to hit up the Baltics!

2. Julia

If you and Rob plan a trip to Scotland, let us know, we would endeavour to join you. I just spent the weekend for New Years in Edinburgh and it was beautiful. I am keen to head to the Highlands next!

We definitely will let you know! It’s probably one of the destinations that is most likely to result in an actual trip this year. I saw your snaps from Edinburgh, it looks like such an awesome place! 😀

3. Jo

If you have direct flights to columbia you have to do it! It’s so much harder from australia.
    Arizona is beautiful!
    South Africa amazing.
    We are being boring and heading back to Indonesia in May. 🙂

Yep, that’s one of the reasons that we moved to NYC – it’s so much easier to travel from here! I know you guys enjoyed South Africa, it’s definitely somewhere I want to go soon. Haha you two really do have a good relationship with Indonesia 😛

4. Emma

There are definitely some places on there I would love to visit. I went to Japan previously and it is so good there, I don’t have enough positive words to say about it. Also I went to Scotland last year and have just been blogging about it if you wanted any ideas on http://www.mytravelbugbite.com Great post and I look forward to reading about all of them when you get there 🙂

I’m very jealous that you’ve been to Japan, Emma! It seriously looks like the most amazing place. I’ll definitely be taking a look through some of your posts on Japan and Scotland to get some ideas for future trips 😀

5. Emma

Japan has been at the top of my list for soooooo long! But it’s too expensive right now 🙁 one day!

It is a rather expensive place – but I know of people that have travelled there on a budget, so hopefully we could stretch our dollars if we try! I hope you get the chance to visit sometime soon, Emma 🙂

6. Karen Peterson

I’ve lived my entire life in the US (minus 16 months in Canada). There is so much of this country I still want to see. And yet, there are so many OTHER places I want to get to. I need to see it all!

I know the feeling, Karen! The US has a huge amount of travel destinations. I have no idea how I’m going to see it all while I’m here, on top of seeing other countries as well!

7. Kayti Clayton

Japan and Norway are both on my list this year. I’m heading to Tokyo in September and hopefully Norway for the week after Christmas. I’m also trying to decide if I should take a short plane ride over to Jackson, WY for the solar eclipse this year. Sounds like it will definitely be worth the trip.

Oh wow, you have quite a year of travel planned, Kayti! I’m very jealous about Japan and Norway. How come you chose Jackson for the solar eclipse?

8. Therie

Me too! Japan is on top of my travel list and I’d been obsessing about setting foot on the Arctic Circle for years! Good luck with your travel plans, cheers!

9. Lorna

I am such an americanophile. I spent all my savings travelling around back in 2012 (totally worth it) but still have *so* much I’m dying to see. So that’s definitely at the top of my list too right now! I agree it seems underrated by a lot of people as a destination. Insanely jealous of you getting to live there, what a dream! 😀

Japan was top of my list until we managed to visit last year – it definitely lived up to my expectations, would highly recommend it.

Besides that, I’m obsessing over getting back to Europe and road tripping around the continent. I’ve mostly just city hopped in the past so I’d love to properly explore as much of the little towns and countryside as possible. 🙂

I’m so glad to find someone else as obsessed with America as I am! It’s great that you’ve been able to see so much of the country, but you’re absolutely right – there’s always so much more to see.

I’m very jealous of your Japan trip! Everyone I know who has visited has said that it is just as good as they imagined it would be. I really need to get myself there immediately! Thanks for your comment Lorna 🙂